386.246.2554 Info@IndoorAirFlorida.com

Providing Exceptional Mold Inspections, Mold Testing and Indoor Air Quality in Palm Coast, St. Augustine, Ormond Beach, Daytona and Jacksonville

mold1Mold is a fungus. Fungi are “ubiquitous” or they are everywhere.

What is the difference between Mold and Mildew?

Mold and mildew may have similar characteristics but they are different kinds of fungi. Mold is a type of fungus that produces growth on moist and decaying surfaces. It can grow on leather, clothing, ceilings and food. Mildew also grows on moist surfaces. It is generally found in bathrooms and bathtub grout and sometimes smooth stone window sills. It generally stains the surface however sometimes it can gray or white fuzzy substance. If it stains the area like a grout area it is generally not going to get into the air. A recent swab test of a bathroom grout reveal zero for molds on the lab report. If it does aerosolize then it can act as an inhalation irritant just like pollen or dust.

How do molds affect people?
Some people are sensitive to molds. For these people, exposure to molds can cause symptoms such as nasal stuffiness, eye irritation, wheezing, or skin irritation. Some people, such as those with serious allergies to molds, may have more severe reactions. Severe reactions may occur among workers exposed to large amounts of molds in occupational settings, such as farmers working around moldy hay. Severe reactions may include fever and shortness of breath. Some people with chronic lung illnesses, such as obstructive lung disease, may develop mold infections in their lungs.

In 2004 the Institute of Medicine (IOM) found there was sufficient evidence to link indoor exposure to mold with upper respiratory tract symptoms, cough, and wheeze in otherwise healthy people; with asthma symptoms in people with asthma; and with hypersensitivity pneumonitis in individuals susceptible to that immune-mediated condition. The IOM also found limited or suggestive evidence linking indoor mold exposure and respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children. In 2009, the World Health Organization issued additional guidance, the WHO Guidelines for Indoor Air Quality: Dampness and Mold [PDF - 2.52 MB]. Other recent studies have suggested a potential link of early mold exposure to development of asthma in some children, particularly among children who may be genetically susceptible to asthma development, and that selected interventions that improve housing conditions can reduce morbidity from asthma and respiratory allergies, but more research is needed in this regard.

What type of doctor should I see concerning mold exposure?
You should first consult a family or general health care provider who will decide whether you need referral to a specialist. Such specialists might include an allergist who treats patients with mold allergies or an infectious disease physician who treats mold infections. If an infection is in the lungs, a pulmonary physician might be recommended. Patients who have been exposed to molds in their workplace may be referred to an occupational physician. CDC is not a clinical facility. CDC does not see patients, diagnose illness, provide treatment, prescribe medication, or provide referrals to health care providers.

I'm sure that mold in my workplace is making me sick.
If you believe you are ill because of exposure to mold in the building where you work, you should first consult your health care provider to determine the appropriate action to take to protect your health. Notify your employer and, if applicable, your union representative about your concern so that your employer can take action to clean up and prevent mold growth. To find out more about mold, remediation of mold, or workplace safety and health guidelines and regulations, you may also want to contact your local (city, county, or state) health department.
You should also read the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Guidelines, Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings, athttp://www.epa.gov/mold/mold_remediation.html.

I am very concerned about mold in my children’s school and how it affects their health.
If you believe your children are ill because of exposure to mold in their school, first consult their health care provider to determine the appropriate medical action to take. Contact the school’s administration to express your concern and to ask that they remove the mold and prevent future mold growth. If needed, you could also contact the local school board.


CDC is not a regulatory agency and does not have enforcement authority in local matters. Your local health department may also have information on mold, and you may want to get in touch with your state Indoor Air Quality office. Information on this office is available athttp://www.cdc.gov/nceh/airpollution/indoor_air.htm.
You can also read the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guidelines, Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings, at http://www.epa.gov/mold/mold_remediation.html .

Also, see these Web sites for more indoor air quality tools for schools:
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/schools/tfs/guidtoc.html
http://www.epa.gov/iaq/schools/tfs/guideh.h

FacebookLinkedinYelpYoutubeGoogle

"Very Professional and Responsive" I had the privilege of having Rich VanDort from H2H Indoor Air Solutions come to my home and diagnose a water intrusion problem I had, which created mold in one of my bedrooms. Using his state of the art equipment and expertise, Rich was able to diagnose the problem, write the remediation protocol the Insurance company needed and verified the contractor completed the job per his specifications. I highly recommend Rich and his team from H2H Indoor Air Solutions for any of your mold or indoor air quality needs. Eddie Herrera Resident in Palm Coast Plantation

Results you can count on:

Recommendation City of Bunnell, Florida